The premiere of The Dirty Picture which was supposed to be on Sunday on Sony TV was stalled by the I&B Ministry. The Ministry told the channel that they could air the movie only after 11 pm due to its adult content. The film was going to be premiered on TV in the afternoon and then at 8 pm on Sunday, the 22nd of April.
The channel ran a ticker which said “For unavoidable reasons we regret to inform that the film The Dirty Picture will not be telecast today. Any inconvenience caused is deeply regretted.” The movie which is based on life of Silk Smitha won Vidya Balan her first national award. Various Bollywood celebs expressed their disappointment over the issue. “Sad that inspite of being acclaimed for it’s entertaining realism & having won 3 National Awards the regulatory forces have stalled the show”, wrote Tusshar Kapoor on his twitter page. Director Karan Johar also slammed the ministry for stopping the telecast “A national award winning film cannot have a national telecast??? this is not an irony but plain and simple hypocrisy!!!! #dirtypicture” he wrote on twitter.
We find it surprising that a film that has been honored with 3 national awards by the government is not allowed to be shown on TV by the very same government! The censor board had already made as many as 56 cuts in the movie for its TV premiere but even then its telecast was stopped at the last minute.
What do you think about the whole issue? Was I&B ministry right in stalling the premiere of The Dirty Picture or is the move completely unjustifiable?