TB ‘Audience-O-Meter’ analyzes the Bollywood release for the week from an audience perspective. In short, we try to find out what might work for the movie and make it click with the audience and what might not- a day before the film releases worldwide!
Here is the ‘Audience-O-Meter’ for Shanghai which releases tomorrow.
Story: Shanghai is a political thriller directed by Dibakar Banerjee. The movie is the tale of four characters played by Emraan Hashmi, Abhay Deol, Kalki Koechlin and Prosenjit Chatterjee who find themselves in the middle of election politics. While Emraan plays a porn film maker, Abhay Deol is a high-ranking bureaucrat in Shanghai.
1. Emraan Hashmi’s star power especially at B & Centers
2. Impressive promos
3. Dibakar’s previous film have been appreciated (Khosla Ka Ghosla, Oye! Lucky Lucky Oye!)
4. The songs have been climbing up the popularity charts
1. The buzz around the movie is not too strong
2. Will face tough competition from Rowdy Rathore, which is proving to the year’s biggest hit
3. Likely to depend good reviews/word of mouth to do well at the Box Office.
We think the movie will have an average opening and its fate from there on will depend on word of mouth publicity. Emraan’s movies usually do well at single screens however Shanghai is very different from films that Emraan usually does and that is why we don’t think it will open to very good response at single screens. Also Rowdy Rathore is likely to continue its excellent run in it’s second week too which will effect Shanghai‘s business.
Go watch Shanghai in theaters this week and don’t forget to share your views with us!